Friday, June 6, 2014

On Summer To-Do's in the City of Angels

In LA, summer never really goes away for too long.  However, the spirit of summer does disappear and fires back up for June, July, and August.  Not to mention, this place usually gifts its residents with a glorious Indian Summer while the rest of the country's populace is raking leaves in sweaters.  Regardless of the setting, all my life summers have just flown by.  I anticipate a sweaty, sweet season and hope to enjoy: 

One of my first dates 
with this guy was to an
outdoor movie,
photo by nice stranger.
Outdoor Film Screening: Cinespia @ The Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Street Food Cinema hosts at USC-adjacent Exposition Park, and Eat See Hear stages screenings in various locations across the metropolis.  I have yet to formally schedule a specific time/date, but always like to fit in some picnic/movie/outdoor action--so quintessentially LA. A master list of outdoor screenings can be found HERE.

Interior courtyard at Yamashiro,
photo by author 
Barnsdall Wine Tasting: Friday Night Wine Tastings are a weekly affair at Barnsdall Park.  I don't drink much so wine tastings are just my speed.  Silverlake Wine provides the libations--tickets are $25 dollars including a wine glass.  All proceeds benefit the Barnsdall Art Park Foundation through which Angelenos can take really affordable art classes.  Close friends learned ceramics for 5 weeks for about $60.00 (unheard of)! Also, the event occurs on the lawn of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Hollyhock House. 

Yamashiro Farmers' Market: Every Thursday evening (5-9 pm) the picturesque Yamashiro Hollywood hosts a Farmer's Market high in the Hollywood Hills.  Parking is usually hectic, so I like to Metro to Hollywood/Highland and walk up.  Don't forget to tour the grounds and explore the interior of the restaurant--it is a popular filming location and is rumored to be haunted.  

The Line Hotel(Dinner at Pot): I live about two blocks away and am very inspired by Korean American chef, Roy Choi. I have yet to make it to POT, but have checked out the place and am excited to strap on an apron and slurp my noodles. Maybe on one of the cooler summer nights.  Interesting article about my neighborhood and the Line HERE. 

Morning light in Ojai,
photo by boyfriend
Day trip to Ojai: I aspire to wake up around 6 am on a Sunday when I have nothing planned, hop in the car, and journey up to Ojai.  I would like to grab a light bite on the drive, hike, eat a nice brunch and then browse around the small town on bike.  I am hoping to go towards the end of June for this event at one of my favorite shops--Summer Camp




No comments:

Post a Comment