Wednesday, January 2, 2013

On Promises, Promises

Another year has past, wha? I have concocted some resolutions of my own for 2013 and I would like to share them with the world wide web so that I may feel more accomplished when I follow-through and more guilty when I don't.  I am a list writer so sometimes, for me, plans do not exist if I don't write them down.  So here goes, a published list of my 2013 resolutions:

1.  Participate in more cultural events in and around LA.  I frequent museums enough, but I want to make it more of a habit of going to lectures, film screenings, museums exhibits, and other cultural events (like something at the Alliance Francaise) this year.  The first event on the list is First Fridays at the Natural History Museum.  It's January 4th for those of you who want to come along.
2. Use Skype and FaceTime more.  I want to take full advantage of my gadgets in the New Year so that I am better at keeping in touch.  I always forget I can not only call my friends who are across the country, but I can call and SEE my friends simultaneously.  I mean, it is 2013, after all.
3.  Metro to work more.  I got spoiled and started driving all the time in 2012, which is just absurd since I live 2 blocks from a Purple Line stop that can transport me into DT in 6 minutes.  Yes, 6 freaking minutes.  I took the Metro this morning.  I left Koreatown at 8:42 am and got off at the stop near my office at 8:48.  Including walk time the trip takes about 12 short minutes.  My stomach just hurts when I think I used to buy a monthly pass to park downtown.  Times are a-changing and my wallet is gonna luck out.  
4. Pack lunch.  This resolution goes hand-in-hand with #3.  I didn't take the time to make the right decisions that would help me begin to save some $$. So now, in 2013, I will buy some tupperware containers and put them to use.  This resolution might even help me get over my aversion to leftovers
5. Run more races.  I am a veteran runner--I used to compete on a far too regular basis and got burnt out.  Now, I am at a point where I have found joy in running again and would like to compete more often just for the mere challenge and fun of it.  When I got back into racing I was only signing up for an annual marathon.  Running one race a year put far too much pressure on me to perform on that single race dayThis year's race line-up includes the Vancouver Marathon (See you in May Laron, Rachel, and Londyn!) and it won't stop there.
6. As much as I want to enjoy more of LA (see reso #1) I also want to take my hard-earned income and travel.  There are so many places I have yet to see and experience. So I hope to leave LA at least once a month.  Some months I will pop on a jet plane when I have the extra dough (thanks to reso #3 & #4) and others I might just jump in my car and spend a day in Santa Barbara or Joshua Tree or somewhere near-by.  
7. Okay, this one is going to sound a little far-fetched and maybe even a little hokey not to mention cliche, but I want to try to treat each day like a NEW day.  I want to get better about giving each day its own undivided attention and make sure that I am contributing as fully as possible to the life that I want to lead every single damn day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment