Saturday, January 5, 2013

On Public Radio

I am a NPR junkie.  You know that person that always tries to reference public radio in conversation? Yeah, that is me. The number of times I have said, " I was listening to this story on NPR the other day. . . . " is ridiculous. I don't expect that to change anytime soon. 

So the other day I was listening to NPR and I had to stop eating dinner because I was so enthralled by the broadcast.  I don't remember what it was called or if it was a spot on "the Story" or "this American Life" or what, but it was about a man named Ted who had a really bad speech impediment.  His whole life he was plagued with the inability to speak so he ended up working for the circus since no one at Barnum & Bailey's was phased by a stutter.  Anyways,the magical part of the radio story was this segment about when Ted was in a relationship.  When he was speaking with this girl, he didn't stutter. Ever. It was like. . . gone. CURED.  Unbelievable (especially if you heard this guy on the radio--his stutter was BAD). When the relationship started to turn sour, he began to stutter in her presence. I was just tenderly touched by this detail of the story. Our bodies know so much. We gotta listen up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment