Sunday, November 6, 2011

On Maps

I like maps, like really like them.  When I was a little girl I used to sit in the back of the car and instead of playing with my very hip, older sister I would ask my dad to borrow the Rand McNally road atlas and would study it the whole way there.  I remember being reluctant to give it back even in the case my parents took a wrong turn along the way.  You see, this map reading was really no big deal when we were going to one of my grandma's houses which was in PA or to my aunt's in DC (ok eight hours worth of map reading) BUT the trip I am referring to is when we used to drive to our house in Nova Scotia, Canada which is exactly 1,000 miles from our house in Connecticut.  We are talking 2-2.5 days straight in the car.  Two days straight of Rand McNally and I was more than fine. 
Years later, I am learning how to make my own maps and I am loving every tedious minute of it. 
The maps on my current lust list: 
Unusual Restaurants Around the World (courtesy of my friend Candace)
The Size of Subway Systems Comparatively (please note the URL: Fake is the New Real. . not sure about that one)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment