Friday, March 15, 2013

On Lena Dunham

I watch very limited TV. I do not own a television set so everything I catch is off of my Mac from Hulu+ or HBO Go or at a friend's house. Every Sunday, I make it a point to watch GIRLS.  My sis and I text commentary (mostly Emojis) back and forth while I hack into my bro-in-law's DirectTv account.  Lena Dunham has brilliantly captured what it is like to be twenty-something desperate for approval, moody, and self-entitled while, in reality, she actually is a twenty-something experiencing the same painful reality that she does on the show  (Lena Dunham certainly must not endure a painful reality these days considering that she regularly gets attention from Judd Apatow, appears on popular late night talk shows, signed a honking book deal, and probably has committed a few more seasons to HBO). Despite her prosperous state of affairs, Lena Dunham manages to write/produce/act with an insightful view into the awkward,loathful phase of being a twenty-something-year-old-women. 

Addendum: onscreen, Lena as Hannah needs to find some pants.  She needs to find some underwear that isn't Hanes her Way.  She need to invest in some  serious tattoo removal.  Most importantly, she needs to spend her time with more worthy male counterparts, but I do give her helpless/hopeless character credit. She carries the show (Can you even imagine a show centered around Shos? That would be a bantering headache).  I especially loved it when Hannah told Josh/Joshua that she liked the satisfying feel of throwing away garbage in the wrong place.  That is just so. . . . odd, and f'ed up, yet also so refreshingly and humorously real. . . well for TV.  Don't even get me started on the mesh top/cocaine incident. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment