Saturday, May 28, 2011

On Baking in The Morning

I forbid to wake at the sound of an alarm on most of my days off. I like to allow myself to get up naturally.  On mornings such as these, I like to put off the workout for a little bit, make coffee, and read, but today I baked. Mom's recipe for granola was on the refrigerator door and all of the essential ingredients were in the pantry, so how could I not? Warm granola embellished with coconut, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries and drenched in yogurt.  The day is off to a good start. 

RECIPE: Grandpa John's Granola
1. Pre-heat oven to 325, lightly grease a cookie sheet (I use spray Pam).
2. Combine in a large mixing bowl: 
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sesame seeds (I used pumpkin!)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Feel free to embellish (today I added coconut shavings into the mix).
3. Combine separately:
1/4 cup canola/vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract 
and mix. 
4. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and mix until the honey has saturated and lightly sweetened everything!
5. Spread onto baking sheet evenly. 
6. Bake for an hour or until the oats are nicely browned.  Be sure to turn the granola at various intervals to make sure it is evenly baked. 
7. Let cool and yum. Eat while thinking of your Mom. 



1 comment: